All pilots wishing to receive an initial U.S. Private Pilot Certificate, U.S. Instrument rating, or a Multi-engine rating must have TSA approval BEFORE STARTING ANY TRAINING. There are other areas of training that require TSA approval but Chandler Air Service does not fall into any of those areas of training.
To complete TSA approval you need to do the following:
- Go to the TSA website and click on “new accounts”, set up an account, and follow the instructions. You will be asked the name of the school, the course of training (initial Private Pilot, Instrument rating, or Multi-engine rating), and the type of aircraft. This is a Category III (3) training request. The type of aircraft is not fixed and you can use different aircraft at the school. Normally indicate Piper PA-28-181 Archer (if single engine) or Piper PA-23-250 (if multi engine). Submit the application.
- An email will be sent (usually 24-48 hours) to Chandler Air Service requesting verification of information and approval of you as a student. We will approve you and send an email back to the TSA within 24 hours. If we have not spoken to you prior to this process, we cannot approve you.
- Upon receipt of Chandler Air Service approval by the TSA they will send you an email requesting a US $130.00 fee which you must pay online to the TSA.
- When the TSA receives your fee they again notify Chandler Air Service via email and ask for fingerprints to be sent. You will do this after you arrive at school. If you have previously completed a course and provided fingerprints you do not need to provide them again. In some countries you can get fingerprinted before coming to the U.S.
- Fingerprints – Once you get to the United States, there is a processing facility available locally that has a charge of $99.00. We will make arrangements for you to get your fingerprints done and sent to the TSA. They usually take 48 hours to get processed and the TSA is notified at that time. Flying can not start until fingerprinting approval has been received.
- There is a $20.00 fee for the fingerprint processing and an overnight mail fee of approximately $15.00 for this service (not paid to CAS). Once the TSA has advised us they have received and approved your fingerprints, you will be able to begin your training. It sometimes takes 4 to 6 days to get notice back by email that the fingerprints have been approved. In some cases it is possible to get the fingerprints done prior to coming to the U.S. but it still has to happen in the same order as outlined above.
- When you arrive in the U.S. we take a picture and place it in your pilot file. This is required by the TSA.
The TSA approval is valid for one year
The TSA approval process must be completed for each certificate or rating